Thursday, July 24, 2014

Honey Roasted Chickpeas

My name is Tina.  And I'm addicted to snacking.  Admitting you have a problem is the first step.  And I certainly love to snack.  But what's worse is that I love to snack at night.  I stay up late and the hours after dinner until I finally lay my head on a darn pillow is just way too long to go without eating.  I try and make my snack choices as healthy as I possibly can.  But sometimes I just need something sweet, savory, or salty.  That's why these roasted chickpeas are awesome because they're all three rolled into one snack!

They're so simple to make and perfect for taking on the go.  And it gives me a healthy option so that I'm not reaching for the chips or anything sweet to undo all the hard work I did during the day.


Ingredients:


  • 1 (15 oz) can chickpeas
  • 2 tsp. olive oil
  • 1 Tbsp. honey
  • 1 tsp. kosher salt
  • 1 tsp. brown sugar

Directions:

Preheat oven to 375 degrees.  Prepare a baking sheet with foil sprayed with non stick cooking spray.

Drain the chick peas in a strainer and rinse for a few minutes with cold water.  You can choose to leave the skins on or remove them.  Pour the chickpeas into a towel or paper tower and pat dry.

In a small bowl combine oil, honey, and sugar.  It will become a crumbly paste. Add in chickpeas and toss until the sugar mixture has melted slightly and all the beans are coated.

Spread the chickpeas onto the prepared baking sheet and place in the oven.

Bake for 10 minutes, remove from the oven, and toss.  Place back in the oven for another ten minutes and repeat.  Cook and toss until your chickpeas start to brown.  Usually takes about 30 minutes.

Remove from oven and turn on broiler.  Broil for 5 minutes until extra crispy.  (This step is optional).

Remove from oven and sprinkle with kosher salt and mix.  Store in an airtight container at room temperature.

Enjoy!







Nutritional Info:
Makes: 3 servings
Serving size: 1/2 Cup
-----------------
Calories: 181
Fat: 4g
Protein: 7g
Carbs: 32g


No comments:

Post a Comment