Friday, January 17, 2014

25 Elf on the Shelf Ideas


Because I had just started my blog in January, I was a little sad to realize that Christmas is over and I missed the window to post about my Elf on the Shelf. Even though I did post my pictures daily on my Facebook and Instagram. Which I'm pretty sure probably irritated many people. 

But while it seems a little silly to be posting Christmas ideas the month AFTER Christmas, I hope it will give you some inspiration and ideas for NEXT Christmas.

My family and I had started the tradition a few years back.  (If you're not familiar with what the Elf on the Shelf actually is, you can read more about it here.) At first, it was just a simple little Elf that would land in a different spot each night.  But now it has turned into some massive game for the parents to see what ideas they can come up with.  And each year I find that it gets more and more difficult to come up with ideas.  

The way that I am, I can't repeat something I've already done. No, no.  That just can't be.  I must make things more difficult for myself.  It's what I do.  

I love getting new ideas from friends, people on Instagram, and of course…my favorite and yours. Pinterest!  So hopefully this little (or slightly long) list will get your creative juices flowing so your little elf can surprise your kiddos in the morning. 

So without further adieu, I present: 25 days of Harry the Elf.

Harry made a North Pole Breakfast for the kids.

Glad he bundled up.

What a good little elf.  Doing the laundry and cleaning. 


Elves have to have some fun, too.


He obviously fixed himself a bowl.


He'll do anything to get his tiny little hands on some cookies.


I see you.


So creative when it comes to making snowflakes.


Can he ever do anything without making a mess?


Doesn't he look so cozy?

He picked out all the boring cereal pieces and fixed the kids a bowl of marshmallows. 


It's hard work to do what he does.  He deserves it.


He's always watching.


What a cute little tree topper, isn't he?


Do you even lift?


He 'mustache' you to be good!


He brought back some coloring pages from the North Pole.


That better not be one of mine!


Turtles in a half shell …


Pure sweetness.


He packed their lunches.  Wish he'd do that everyday.


He knows the reason for the season.  What a good little elf, huh?


His annual report.  


He drew red noses on the kids while they were asleep.  He's got jokes.


It's time to say goodbye.  He brought a Santa Key with him to hang on the door. It's always sad to see him go, but until next year.


So that was my '25 days of The Elf on the Shelf.'  You'll notice that some days are better than others. 

There have been times I've gotten into bed, pulled the covers over me, closed my eyes and almost drifted off to dream land.  Then being woken up by this horrible feeling that I forgot to do something.  And I surely did.  Angrily, I ripped the covers off of myself and walked around my house thinking "where am I going to put this thing?!" Praying my kids didn't walk out of their rooms while their mother is talking to herself and pacing around the house with poor little Harry in her hands, hanging from his feet and being thrown around like a rag doll. 

I always try and make him do something fun, even on my lazy days.  All you have to do is add a simple printable, pose him in a silly way, or add some type of little prop when you just don't know what to do with your elf.  Or you're just simply too tired to put in much effort.  

I try and enjoy it every year as much as I can and not complain too much about it because I know that the season flies by.  And every year we get a step closer to my kids not believing in him anymore.  

So as much as this little guy may seem like a pain in the butt on certain days, just remember that these days will pass.  And one day you'll stare at him in his little box and wish you had these days back.  That's why I take the time to do this.  

While it may seem a little strange or ridiculous to some people, to me it's just adding a little something special to the magic of Christmas for my kids.  And that makes it all worth while.


No comments:

Post a Comment